Student Volunteering Week 2015 begins!
Posted on 23 Feb 2015
It's finally here!
Today marks the official launch of Student Volunteering Week 2015, now in its fourteenth year.
Thousands of students and staff at over one hundred colleges and universities across the UK will take part in events and activities this week to raise awareness of the value of student volunteering, inspire more students to get involved, and celebrate the positive impact that they already make in their local communities.
We've been officially counting down over the last forty days and featuring a different group of students and staff each day. Look back at the countdown here.
What to look forward to this week…
- Parliamentary Celebration in the House of Commons today. We are delighted to be returning to Parliament to be hosted by Julian Huppert, MP, for a special afternoon tea celebration with 200 guests including students, volunteering staff and representatives from charities, businesses and government.
- The winner of the Student Volunteer of the Year Award will be revealed today at the Parliamentary Celebration! We've got five outstanding finalists from University of Oxford, University of Bristol, University of Plymouth, Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry and Ulster University.
- Local events all week: To get an idea of the variety of events and activities, check out our What's On page where dozens of institutions have shared their plans. We're already at 300 events and we're expecting many more to be added!
- Good Deed Day (#GoodDeedDay) is on Wednesday! It's a nationwide day of social action, and we also gave away grants of £200 to help bring 10 institutions' ideas to life. Read more about some of their plans and preparations.
- Join in with the conversations between student volunteers, volunteering centres, colleges, universities, charities and businesses supporting SVW on Twitter using #SVW2015
How to get involved this week…
- Students: Check out our What's On page to find out what your college or university has planned. Like our Facebook page and follow us on Twitter. You can also share your volunteering highlights with us and tell friends about the campaign, using #SVW2015.
- Charities: If you work with student volunteers, this is a fantastic week to recognise them for their efforts! Read our top tips here.
- Businesses: Why not get in touch and show your support for student volunteers at colleges and universities in your area? You might be able to sponsor one of their events. Find out which colleges and universities are taking part in SVW here.
- Press: We can provide press releases, high resolution photos, and put you in touch with current student volunteers in towns and cities around the UK. Get in touch.
- Everyone can download digital images for social media here.